Ingredients (feel free to add or substitute with any of your favorites — that’s kinda my recipe style):
- 1 Onion finely-chopped
- 2 Carrots diced
- 4 small potatoes diced
- 2 Celery ribs chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms 🍄
- 1/2 cup Mixed frozen veggies (peas, corn, green beans, etc.)
- 3 tbsp plant 🌱 based butter
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 3 cups Veggie broth
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened almond milk (for sauce/gravy)
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Rosemary
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- Bisquick biscuit mix (or if you wanna get fancy, you could make your own…it would be a great time to bust out grandmas recipe!)
- In a large frying pan with a lid, sautee onions 🧅 (health hack: CHOP & STOP…wait 10 minutes before you cook them, this activates a natural enzyme which has added health benefits!), then add remaining chopped veggies, stir with half cup of broth, and cover. Steam the veggies on medium-low heat until mostly tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan, melt the butter substitute. Stir in the all-purpose flour, making a roux. Slowly whisk in the veggie stock to thin, then add the almond milk. Simmer to thicken and add the nutritional yeast, salt and pepper, rosemary, and thyme. Remove from heat.
- Dump the veggies into a 13×9 casserole dish, add frozen veggies and top with gravy mixture. Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 15 minutes while you prepare the biscuits.
- To prepare the biscuits: follow the instructions on the package but substitute the water for almond milk.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and cover the top with dough…plop a biscuit sized lump of dough on top with space in between…you should have approximately 6-8 biscuits on top. Return the casserole dish to the oven and bake until the biscuits are golden brown on top, about 20 minutes.
PS– This makes for a great comfort food meal, non-meat holiday dish, or it can be a quick and easy dinner! You can use frozen veggies, which I always like to have on hand. You can literally make it with whatever types of veggies you like and have handy, so feel free to make it your own! ENJOY!
Nothing makes me happier than seeing you live healthier, so be sure to tag me over on social @brianne_bell_ so I can celebrate YOU!